Arty Bees in the Community
Here's what you just did by shopping locally with us!
1. You kept money in the local economy
Based on US research, we know that for every $100 spent in a local business, $68 is likely to stay in the community, versus $43 when spent in a national business.
2.You embraced what makes us unique
You wouldn’t want your house to look like everyone else’s in New Zealand. So why would you want your community to look that way?
3. You created local jobs
Local businesses are better at creating higher-paying jobs for local people.
4. You helped the environment
Buying from a local business conserves energy and resources in the form of less fuel for transportation, less packaging, and products that you know are safe and well made, because we stand behind them.
5. You nurtured community
We know you, and you know us. Studies have shown that local businesses donate to community causes at more than twice the rate of non-local businesses.
6. You helped keep the high street healthy
Supporting local business means more colour and variety on the high street and creates more reason for local authorities to support them.
7. You created more choice
We pick the items we sell based on what we know you like and want. Local businesses carry a wider array of unique products because we buy for our own individual market.
8. You took advantage of our expertise
You are our friends and neighbours, and we have a vested interest in knowing how to serve you. We’re passionate about what we do. Why not take advantage of it?
9. You invested in entrepreneurship
Creativity and entrepreneurship are crucial to our economy. Nurturing local business ensures a strong community.
10.You made us a destination
The more interesting and unique we are as a community, the more we will attract new neighbours, visitors and guests. This benefits everyone!
Arty Bees supporting the Community
We don’t just sell books here at Arty Bees! We support various community projects through donations and advertising. Here are some of the organisations we support.
- Eastern Suburbs Lions’ Club Book Fair
- Wainuiomata Rotary Book Fair
- Downtown Community Ministry Book Fair
This is where you come in! Any books we can’t use in the shop regularly get picked up by these organisations for their annual bookfairs. Other groups who sometimes use donated books for fundraising stalls are Opportunity for Animals and the Taoist Tai Chi Society of New Zealand.
Here are some of the events we support.
- KapCon is a role-playing game convention run annually in Wellington every January. Over a hundred people get together for a weekend of role-playing, in a diverse range of styles and systems. Here is a link to their website, keep an eye on it for details about next year’s convention: http://kapcon.org.nz/
- Aucontraire, Wellington’s fan-run science fiction/fantasy unconventional convention.
- The NZ International Film Festival
- The Fringe Festival
- Wellington Gilbert & Sullivan Society. Find out about their latest production here: http://www.gns.org.nz/